Wednesday, August 26, 2026

GIG: Kings of Thrash (Nuneaton)


KINGS OF THRASH “The MEGA Years” features GRAMMY® Award winning bassist David Ellefson, along with guitarist Jeff Young, reuniting to perform the early Thrash classics upon with the genre was built and defined in the 1980s. Showcasing the songs from the Killing is My Business…and Business is Good & So Far, So Good…So What albums in their entirety, Ellefson & Young stay true to material not performed live in several decades, along with the spirit of the era which launched one of the greatest genres of heavy metal music.

Frankly, after the steaming pile of shit that was Abaddon UK, Kings of Thrash really couldn't miss. They merely had to be competent. And they were. Dave Ellefson has always been a likeable sort and I was pleasantly surprised by the singer/guitarist chap, who did a pretty good job of sounding like a younger Mustaine...


Rose said he gurned too much, but I honestly didn't notice at all, and then we have Jeff Young. Wow, what an odd little man he is. First of all, I know it shouldn't matter but don't play a thrash gig with a stupid weird jazz guitar with no headstock and 2/3 of a body. It doesn't matter that it looks dumb, the bigger problem is it doesn't sound right.

Years ago I made the same mistake and bought a Hohner copy of a Steinberger. It was a cool guitar but I could not get it to sound right trying to play thrash and neither could Jeff. Too much delay, not enough oomph and not enough distortion... and also, Jeff isn't a great rhythm player either. He can solo, but riffing is not his strong suit.


He also has a rather strange manner, coming across as arrogant and/or possibly drunk... he certainly wasn't put off by the sparse crowd and played the Queens Hall like he was back at Donington. I know you have to believe in yourself if you are on stage and all, but he came across like a bit of a twat. You played on one Megadeth album, right... and not one of the top, top ones. You are the Vinnie Vincent of Megadeth. Learn some humility. At this point I feel like Dave Ellefson has saddled himself with a bit of a clown,

I forgot to mention the drummer. He was good. No one needs a drum solo, but his was pretty good and don't think I didn't spot your Neil Peart rips matey cos I did. Respect for pulling those off. 


Despite what the website said, Killing is My Business was not played in it's entirety, in fact it was barely even touched on, which was a shame. In fact the only song they played from that was Rattlehead. 

We were trying out our new Loop earplugs tonight. It was weird, but nice not to get home with ringing ears. Overall it was enjoyable, even if at times I wondered exactly what Jeff was playing. Perhaps it would have helped if the other guitar had been a bit louder, because as I said riffing is definitely not Jeff's strong suit.

To be fair too Jeff he made a decent fist of Marty's epic solo in Tornado of Souls, but he had to go and throw it back in our faces by flexing his bicep after it. What a cock. The band threw in a cool cover of 'Murders in the Rue Morgue' but unfortunately it didn't really suit the singer's voice.


SETLIST: Rattlehead / The Conjuring / Into the Lungs of Hell / Set the World Afire / Anarchy in the UK / Mary Jane / 502 / In My Darkest Hour / Liar / Hook in Mouth / Good Mourning / Black Friday / Dawn Patrol / Tornado of Souls / Murders in the Rue Morgue (Iron Maiden cover) / Peace Sells...

No comments:

Post a Comment