Sunday, May 31, 2026

GIG: Geoff Tate (Wolverhampton)


Three years ago Geoff performed 'Operation: Mindcrime' in full at the Queen's Hall in Nuneaton and it was the slam dunk, no question 'Gig of the Year'. Three years later he was back, this time at KK's Steel Mill, the question was, could he do it again?

Rose hadn't been to KK's Steel Mill before, so this was new to her, whereas I went there with Rich a few years ago to see Destruction, Whiplash and Enforcer. It's a great venue, and bigger than I remembered it I think - probably 2000 capacity I'm guessing?

We got sent the wrong way by Google maps on the way, but still arrived in plenty of time. The car park ticket machine wasn't working and I wasn't about to download a stupid app to pay when I could park in the street for nothing. It's not like open air car parks offer anything in the way of security and it was totally fine.

The support band (XIII something.... was it Doors? Hours? I don't know) were very average, playing the sort of 90s Metal that Hair Metal bands started playing when they couldn't be Hair Metal any more. I guess it was competent and I'm sure a fair few people in attendance enjoyed it, but it ain't for me.

We took a stroll to the merchandise desk and I noticed a neon sign saying 'Meet Geoff Tate' with a piece of card next to it saying '£50'. I wondered if it was '£50' to meet Geoff or was it '£50' for the sign? I'm guessing it was the former. Bit of a cringe moment when a roadie walked across the front of the stage holding said sign right before the show started, I didn't see any takers...

So the time arrived, and I did wonder whether it could possibly have the same impact as last time, I mean it was 33 years since I'd seen Queensryche do it when we saw it last time, but now just three years later...

Well I needn't have worried, because OM is as perfect an album as you could imagine and those songs (even played by other people) still sound as fresh today as they did when I was 18 years old. Just incredible, and a testament to the talent of Queensyche really... it's a pity they went downhill from here (but then again, the only way was down, wasn't it?).


I'm not quite sure why Geoff needs three lead guitarists and a keyboard player on stage with him... that seems like overkill to me, and surely must add significantly to the cost of touring! But it worked and they certainly put on a show, running around like toddlers on the huge stage, they certainly weren't phoning it in.


Geoff is the quintessential enigma wrapped up in a conundrum wrapped up in a mystery. He's so intense on stage, but at the same time it almost seems like he's taking the piss... I'm sure it's all an act, and if he was a massive arse I doubt he'd be okay with his band jumping up and down and disrespecting his legacy...

Wearing a hat does not make you Chris DeGarmo, sadly.

Wisely, the set started with Mindcrime in full and immediately the place was electric. Highlights were plentiful, Revolution Calling, Operation: Mindcrime, Speak, Suite Sister Mary (obviously), Spreading the Disease and my personal favourites I Don't Believe in Love and Eyes of a Stranger all rolled by like a majestic wave of polished metal and my only real gripe (if I'm being super picky) was that 'Waiting for 22' could have been played better. I know it's just a short instrumental, but the guitar solo on that is perfect and I want to hear it EXACTLY like it was played on the album.

'Mary, Mary.... You're just a whore for the underfed!'

After Mindcrime concluded we get a selection of Queensryche classics (starting with Empire) interspersed with songs from Geoff's new O:M3 album. Actually after a slightly ropey start 'The Answer' was actually okay, but the other one was a bit too Spanish Lullaby for my liking, and I can't help but think that maybe it would be best not too. Though it probably can't be any worse than O:M2 was.

Jet City Woman, Silent Lucidity and Queen of the Reich wrapped things up (with more hilarious running and jumping about, even Geoff was pogoing during Jet City Woman - WTAF?) and indeed one of the funniest moments was Geoff's intro to Silent Lucidity, check it out on the video below.

Geoff's rap - 1:33! 

I Remember Now / Anarchy-X / Revolution Calling / Operation: Mindcrime / Speak / Spreading the Disease / The Mission / Suite Sister Mary / The Needle Lies / Electric Requiem / Breaking the Silence /  I Don't Believe in Love / Waiting for 22 / My Empty Room / Eyes of a Stranger / The Answer / Empire /  Jet City Woman / Take Hold of the Flame / Do You Still Believe? / Silent Lucidity / Queen of the Reich

No comments:

Post a Comment